Friday, January 24, 2014

A change of direction

The quest to market my latest novel, "Dylan's Prize" continues.  But so far I've been met with limited success.  So, a couple of days ago I decided that maybe it was time to change gears and try something a little different.  It was time to consult one of the most extensive lists of helpful tools for the aspiring writer that I know of. 

Popular fantasy author, Piers Anthony, is emphatic in his support for new writers, and as such has devoted a large segment of his personal website to that end.  He has personally gone through the trouble of posting a vast array of resources and makes sure the lists stay updated and current (last update was Jan. 14th of this year).  It's a site that I go to and scan for anything I can find that might be useful to me.  And believe me, there's plenty there.  It was while sifting through the massive list of publishers available, that I decided that it might be time to try a new approach to my marketing. 

I've signed up for a CreateSpace account, which is a POD service.  They are an Amazon company (big surprise there) who specializes in putting print versions of books onto store shelves as well as offering those same books on various websites.  The basic service is free of charge, although they do have "professional" services that can cost several hundred dollars or more.  Based on what I've read about CreateSpace, it seems like a good way to go.  My book will be exposed to a broader audience and there will also be physical copies in bookstores all over the world.  They split the royalties with me for their service, which seems fair, and my book can be available in as little as 2-3 days.  Hopefully this will spark some much-needed sales.  We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, just to let you know that you are one of my featured blogs on Reblog Saturday on ftvpmac.wordpress.com - it will be posted by 12.00 Spanish Time. Thanks and I am sure your blogs on marketing challenges will be useful to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know! Many, many thanks! I hope others can learn from my mistakes, lol.

      Delete